Sports Interactive (SI) is the world’s leading developer of football management simulations through its Football Manager series of games. Founded in 1994 and now based in East London's booming technology hub of Old Street, SI, as a continually successful and profitable company, is now looking to expand its full-time staff as it pushes out across both existing and emerging gaming platforms.
SI’s games have enjoyed an unparalleled history of commercial and critical success, with 12 of its creations among the UK's Top 20 fastest-selling PC games of all time and five in the UK’s top 20 best-selling PC games of all time. Sports Interactive became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006.
The studio is a vibrant environment, full of talented and dedicated people with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy working within a close-knit team as part of a lively, self-motivated and forward thinking company. Sports Interactive looks after its staff’s well-being with free gym membership, in-house massage therapy, a leading benefits package and a flexible working schedule that make the studio a relaxed and friendly place to work. The company also arranges regular team social events and is very proud of having one of the lowest turnovers of staff in the industry.
Further information on Sports Interactive and its games is available from the SI website, www.sigames.com.
Reporting directly into the Studio Director, the position of Business Development Manager is a newly created role within Sports Interactive. The successful candidate will build key brand relationships, identify business opportunities, negotiate and close business deals and maintain an extensive knowledge of current global market conditions.
The Business Development Manager will work in a senior sales/promotions position within the company and will work with the Studio Director, the communications team and SEGA to increase sales opportunities, maximise existing revenue streams and put in place deals that open up new revenue streams for Sports Interactive.
The job will involve putting in place new processes on how we work with partners with a specific focus on football clubs and organisations, sports media, product licensees and other brands that sit in or around the footballing world.
- Build long-term global and local partnerships with football clubs to produce special club editions and wider contra-marketing initiatives.
- Build and manage long-term global and local partnerships with national football associations and other football-related organisations.
- Identify strong global and local brands with a mainstream football audience and put together long-term contra-marketing/licensing partnerships to increase awareness and revenue.
- Identify football-related business-to-business opportunities (trade shows, awards ceremonies etc.) and build into FM calendar.
- Identify complementary leisure products and/or development studios for potential partnership or acquisition.
- Work with global technology partners on game bundling deals.
- Work closely with SEGA’s brand licensing team to help co-ordinate licensing of merchandise and FM branded products.
- Manage and build our portfolio of in-game partners/advertisers to create bespoke contra-marketing deals.
- Work closely with the SI PR, digital marketing and marketing team to maximise contra-marketing partnerships
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience working within a Business Development environment.
- A CV that shows a history of working successfully with global brands across global projects.
- A proven track record of building and maintaining global and local contra-marketing and licensing relationships.
- Product licensing and bundling experience.
- Strong negotiation skills in sales, marketing and contract drafting.
- Detailed knowledge of the sports industry.
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills.
- Experience in performance, budget management and forecasting.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to travel globally.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.