Sierra Entertainment's World In Conflict(TM) Conquers Worldwide PC Sales Charts In Debut Week
Thursday, 11th October 2007 at 8:22 am
Award-Winning Action-Strategy Gameplay Draws Fans of First-Person Shooters, RPGs, Action Games; New Fans Drive Game to Top PC Position on Charts Worldwide
Los Angeles, CA - October 09, 2007 - Sierra Entertainment is proud to announce that World in Conflict™ - the game unanimously chosen as the Best Strategy Game of E3 2007 and winner of countless "Editor's Choice" awards, debuted at the top of the worldwide PC sales charts in the game's first week at retail. The game hit #1 on PC in North America, Germany, and Australia and was among the top 3-sellers on PC in most other territories worldwide.
The critically acclaimed action-strategy game created by Massive Entertainment, a Sierra Entertainment internal studio, is currently available in North America in both Standard and Collector's Edition versions for a suggested retail price of $49.99 and $59.99 respectively.
"Sierra Entertainment is extremely proud that the World in Conflict video game is realizing the level of success that can be expected from a game of such high quality," said Martin Tremblay, president of worldwide studios, Sierra Entertainment. "We see the World in Conflict audience continually expanding as PC players read the stunning reviews, hear about the game from their friendsor try the multiplayer demo, and in turn, discover what this new 'action-strategy' gameplay is all about."
The World in Conflict game is currently the highest-rated real-time strategy game of the year, according to information gathered by GameRankings.com. Reviews from around the world hail the game's intense action-packed gameplay and cross-genre appeal as refreshing, exciting and the future of strategy gaming. IGN PC called the game "An RTS for the shooter generation" and "…an action junky's dream," awarding World in Conflict a 9.3 out of 10. GameSpot gave the game a 9.5 out of 10, saying "World in Conflict is a thrilling, spectacular strategy game."
"World in Conflict is one of the hottest-selling PC games today as it appeals to fans of many genres, from first-person-shooter to RPG to sim," said Bob McKenzie, senior vice president of merchandising for GameStop Corp, the world's largest video game and entertainment software retailer. "The game's innovative action-focused gameplay, amazingly fun multiplayer modes, and next-generation graphics have drawn in new fans the world over."
"The amazing success of the World in Conflict game launch is directly reflective of the outstanding support offered by Sierra's worldwide retail partners during a highly competitive launch window," said Pascal Brochier, president of Global Retail, Vivendi Games. "These partners recognized the strength and quality of the game and have committed strong support through the upcoming Holiday season. World in Conflict is a game with incredible longevity, one that will be supported and promoted by the blossoming communities - such as competitive multiplayer groups and amateur map makers and mod developers - who are already building around the strength of the game."
About World in Conflict
The World in Conflictt game asks the terrifying question, what if the Cold War didn't end? The award-winning game represents the next-generation of strategy titles, pitting Cold War-era superpowers against one another with completely destructible 3D battlefields and blistering visuals using DX10 technology. The World in Conflict game features an innovative gameplay mechanism that removes traditional resource-gathering and base-building in favor of non-stop combat, tactical decisions and FPS-like intense action. The game also features a deep single-player campaign that showcases Hollywood-quality storytelling of the Cold War gone hot.
Features in the World in Conflict game include:
- Action-Focused Gameplay: World in Conflict gameplay focuses on tactical combat to create a game that is fast and hard-hitting - much like an FPS - by removing traditional base-building and resource gathering in favor of instant warfare and by doing so, creating a new category of PC games: Action-Strategy[/*]
- Dramatic Single-Player Campaign: The World in Conflict single-player mode offers a deep and emotional storyline created by renowned author and cold war authority, Larry Bond; players strap on the combat boots of a young field commander featuring Hollywood voice-over talent and a thrilling personal journey through World War III[/*]
- Accessibility: The World in Conflict FPS-like control scheme and 360-degree camera make its action-strategy gameplay exciting for hardcore strategy fans as well as accessible to fans of other genres - strategy fans will love the World in Conflict experience. For gamers who have never played strategy before, the World in Conflict game is the game to try[/*]
- Deep Multiplayer With "Next-Gen" Features: The World in Conflict game supports up to 16 players for head-to-head and team-based battles in Domination, Tug-of-War and Assault modes; online play features built-in Voice-over IP (VoIP), support for clan management, competitive ladders, online tournaments, chat rooms, friends lists and more[/*]
- Real World Super-Powered Warfare: Unleash the authentic military arsenals of the great superpowers including tanks, planes, trucks, troops and helicopters from the USA, Soviet Union and NATO; as well as massive tactical attacks such as carpet bombings, long-range artillery, napalm and nuclear weapons[/*]
- Player Roles: Innovative in the strategy genre, players choose to engage the enemy as Infantry, Armor, Support, or Air specialists; multiplayer teams need to master each role and their cooperative elements for maximum effectiveness[/*]
- Bleeding-Edge Graphics: The latest version of Massive's proprietary Masstech™ engine uses DX10 technology, with advanced lighting, particle and physics effects, and allows for a full 360-degree range of camera control[/*]
- Complete Destructibility: As the battle rages, the world environment pays the price as every object - houses, trees and more - crumble under the force of war[/*]
- Scalability: While pushing the bleeding edge, Massive's proprietary Masstech engine also scales down to accommodate a wide range of PC specifications - if you've played a modern PC game within the last two years, you'll be able to play the World in Conflict game[/*]
The World in Conflict Collector's Edition includes limited edition extras for hardcore fans and Cold War enthusiasts, including an authentic piece of the Berlin Wall, a bonus DVD from The History Channel®, behind the scenes videos and special packaging.
The World in Conflict game is now available at retail stores in North America for the personal computer with a suggested retail price of $49.99 for Standard Edition and $59.99 for the Collector's Edition. For more information on World in Conflict, please visit www.worldinconflict.com.
About Massive Entertainment
Massive Entertainment ( www.massive.se), a Sierra Entertainment-owned development studio, is a premier developer of PC games for the global market. Founded in 1997 in Malmö, Sweden, Massive Entertainment has grown to include more than 120 development professionals. The company's portfolio includes the critically acclaimed Ground Control® series as well as the World in Conflict game.
About Sierra Entertainment
Sierra Entertainment ( www.sierra.com), a division of Vivendi Games, creates and publishes innovative, high-quality interactive entertainment for personal computers, videogame systems and handheld gaming devices. Sierra features a strong portfolio of titles based on original IP and popular licenses from industry-leading content partners. Sierra has four integrated internal studios providing top-notch creative talents, development capabilities across multiple genres and a global perspective: High Moon Studios in San Diego, CA; Massive Entertainment in Malmö, Sweden; Radical Entertainment in Vancouver, BC; and Swordfish Studios in Birmingham and Manchester, England.
©2000/2001 A&E Television Networks. All Rights Reserved. THE HISTORY CHANNEL and the "H" Logo are Registered Trademarks of A&E Television Networks. All Rights Reserved. Other trademarks are property of their respected owners.
© Develop 2013. All rights reserved.