Michel Ancel protests Rayman Legends Wii U delay
Tuesday, 12th February 2013 at 5:39 pm
Developers caught protesting outside studio calling for Ubisoft to release finished game
Ubisoft Montpellier developers and Rayman creator Michel Ancel are staging a protest over the decision to delay Rayman Legends on the Wii U till September.
Despite initially being announced as a Wii U launch title, Ubisoft revealed last week it would be pushing the game back to September for a multi-platform release including PS3 and Xbox 360.
But now, as reported by Eurogamer, Ancel and the Ubisoft Montpellier team have been caught protesting outside the studio, also holding up a banner of Rayman crying with the words “Release Rayman. Support Ubisoft Montpellier”.
Last week an alleged developer at the studio posted on Neogaf about the delay, stating that it was a decision not taken by the development team, and that it was in fact very unhappy with the situation.
The game has been confirmed as complete, but will still not see an imminent release due to the company’s new multi-platform plans.
“If you're pissed, imagine how we feel,” said the developer.
“Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (Gamescom, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game.
"We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it.
"For us, this means we've spent six months barely seeing our wives, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow this news."
© Develop 2013. All rights reserved.