Ngmoco pulls free-to-play game from App Store
Tuesday, 1st May 2012 at 1:33 pm
Customers told Eliminate will close on May 25th; no reason for cancellation given
Social gaming outfit Ngmoco has pulled its free-to-play iOS shooter Eliminate from the App Store after apparently generating a lack of revenue.
As uncovered by TouchArcade, customers are now greeted with a popup stating the game will be canned on May 25th, but does not give a reason for the title’s closure.
Eliminate, one of the first free-to-play titles to arrive on iOS in 2009, is a four-player first-person shooter, that enabled users to purchase energy with real money, allowing them to buy in-game armour and weapon upgrades.
Ngmoco has previously closed other online freemium games, such as several titles in its Epic Wars series, and said at the time that withdrawing support for its titles was “nothing something we do lightly”.
“We work hard maintaining and growing communities on our other games and will continue to do so,” read a statement on the cancellations.
“But, when the flow of players becomes low for a prolonged period we have to take these decisions so we can dedicate time to making new experiences. The harsh reality on our Epic series of games is that towards the end they did not have the level of engagement required to continue competing for users' time in an App Store that's giving players new choices daily.”
Other free-to-play titles to close recently include MMO Lego Universe, which closed down just over a year after release in October 2010, and caused US studio Play Well and a second facility in Denmark to shut down, costing as many as 115 jobs.
© Develop 2013. All rights reserved.