NEW YEAR, NEW JOB: Get promoted in design
Monday, 13th February 2012 at 9:00 am
Daily advice on recruitment and HR from the industry's top companies. Today: Tips for designers
Every day in January and throughout much of February, Develop is helping job-hunters and employers with advice and tips from the industry's finest developers, experts, HR specialists and recruitment execs on a range of topics.
Today we bring you tips on getting promoted as a games designer.
5 ways to get promoted as a designer
• “You’re only as good as your team. Align yourself with the best in your studio and understand their qualities.”
James Sweatman, Game Designer, Jagex
• “I don't expect every wannabe designer to have a final specialisation decided, but I do expect them to understand what areas are there, and bring demos proving their skills in their areas of strength.”
Imre Jele, Co-founder, Creator-in Chief, Bossa
• “To get noticed, know what kind of game – and platform – you want to work on, and build a portfolio demonstrating your skills in this area.”
Peter Leonard, Recruitment Consultant, Amiqus
• “Being loud, fast and confident will mean you get promoted but undoubtedly you'll be hated too.”
Mills, co-founder, UsTwo
• “Understand that the elements of story telling plays an integral role to all game design. Pacing, conflict, character, setting, etcetera all come into play.”
Patrick Wylie, VP Studios, Big Fish Games
Our daily 'New Year, New Jobs' series of articles are extracted from the February issue of Develop magazine – currently available in several forms – which boasts an essential compendium of advice, tips and tricks on getting a new job and improving your employment prospects.The same issue brings you all the results from our sweeping games industry Salary Survey. Check back with Develop Online over the coming days for more advice.
And if you're looking for a new career, or hoping to find some top new talent, be sure to check Develop's Jobs Board.
To find out more about advertising opportunities relating to our New Year, New Job series contact Alex.Boucher@intentmedia.co.uk or call him on +44 (0) 1992 535 646.
© Develop 2013. All rights reserved.