Trinigy's NGP Vision Game Engine released
Wednesday, 1st June 2011 at 5:32 pm
New version of popular engine promises to deliver console quality on Sony handheld
Trinigy has made the NGP version of its Vision Game Engine available with immediate effect.
The tech, which its makers have staked a claim to as the first available game engine for NGP, offers a modular architecture, and lets users work with the same tools and workflow they use to develop titles for all other Vision supported platforms and services, such as PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and Windows.
The Vision Game Engine for NGP also includes a wealth of new tailoured features for the Sony handheld that harness its GPU cores, as detailed below.
"With the Vision Game Engine, developing a graphically rich, highly immersive game for NGP is no different than building a game for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or PC," said Dag Frommhold, managing director at Trinigy.
"Because of the Vision Game Engine’s flexibility, developers can use the same tools environment, the same asset types, the same game code, and many of the same graphical effects, which is an incredible advantage in an environment with so many different development platforms."
As detailed in a statement to the press, key Vision Game Engine for NGP features include:
• Familiar editing environment and toolset – access the same tools, the same asset types, the same game code and many of the same graphics effects across all supported platforms
• Optimised character skinning system for NGP – allows for efficient rendering of detailed characters with very high polygon and bone counts
• Full support for cross-platform and platform-specific texture formats – offers a straightforward workflow and easy porting of existing content, while providing high-loading performance and platform-specific content optimisations, where required
• Multithreading system – takes full advantage of NGP’s CPU cores for animations, mesh deformation, particle simulation, physics, visibility determination, and more
• Highly efficient rendering – efficient rendering system minimises CPU load
• Optimised shader/shader constant handling – includes full cross-platform compatibility
• Comprehensive support for NGP’s user interface – includes multi-touch as well as support for dual analog sticks
• Fully featured graphics technology – includes normal/parallax maps, specular maps, dynamic lighting, post-processing effects and more
© Develop 2013. All rights reserved.