Visual effects, animation and game forum includes panel discussions and Masterclasses
Dallas, Texas– (May 26, 2010)– The ninth annual Industry Giants conference will feature key artistic contributors to blockbuster movies Avatar and Alice in Wonderland among its distinctive speaker lineup of animation and visual effects gurus in film, television and game development. Hosted by A Bunch of Short Guys (ABOSG), The Guildhall at SMU and Texas Film Commission, this event, which will be held at SMU’s main campus June12-13, also offers Masterclasses and is open to the public, students and industry professionals.
The conference has been organized annually by Dallas-based ABOSG, a filmmaking/visual effects, animation and game development non-profit organization.
Speaker presentations take place on day one, which concludes with a panel discussion. Sunday is dedicated to eight classes from which participants can select. All sessions are conducted in the Hughes-Trigg Center at SMU (3140 Dyer St, Dallas TX, 75205). A detailed schedule, speaker bios, ticket costs and Masterclass descriptions can found at industrygiants.org.
Speaker Topics/Saturday, June 12:
• The Making of Avatar and Creating the World of Pandora - Guy Williams, visual effects supervisor, Weta Digital
• The Making of Alice in Wonderland - Jeff Schu, supervising animator, Sony Pictures Imageworks
• Creating Science Fiction and Fantasy in Today’s Entertainment- Stephan Martiniere, art director, id Software
• Breaking Down the World of Commercial Production - Jeff Dates, visual effects/CG supervisor, The Mill NY
• The Alchemy of Elemental Magic - Joseph Gilland, artist and author,“Elemental Magic”
• Interviewing the Industry Giants - Rita Street, president, Radar Cartoons
Masterclasses/Sunday, June 13:
• ZBrush Workflows - Paul Gaboury, 3D application engineer, Pixologic
• The Basics of Storyboarding - Dan Kuenster, creative director, i-Station–
• Simulations in ICE (Softimage) - Brad Gabe, senior technical animator, Janimation
• From Storyboard to Production - Johan and Norma Klingler, animation instructors, Art Institute of Dallas
• Bones to Animation - Brad Clark, co-founder, RiggingDojo.com
• Voiceover for Animation - Mary Morgan, actress
• Modern Life Drawing - Michael Mentler, artist, Dallas Figurative Arts Society
About A Bunch of Short Guys
A Bunch of Short Guys (ABOSG) is a non-profit organization that fosters education and career development for students and professionals in the animation, visual effects and game industries. The group hosts free monthly meetings, presents Industry Insights, an ongoing series featuring industry artists, as well as various training workshops and the Industry Giants events. Meeting information, a members’ online forum, event information and more can be found at abunchofshortguys.org.