Just wanted to share a briefing on how the project is doing at the moment.
As you know, we cancelled our Kickstarter campaign with just 5 days live for a variety of reasons, you can learn more if you read the update at update.
The team has been talking a lot about the things that we did wrong, and we are just working and planning how to make a bigger impact on our Kickstarter relaunch. We are working on different areas to do so:
- Combat : we want to include combat footage that explains the mechanics much better. We don't have all the mechanics in place yet obviously, but at least we want to show you much more interaction, both in the attacks, counterattacks, enemy Ai, contextual info like enemy stats, improved particle effects, more variety on the animations and new interface combat elements (like movement arrows, damage taken floating numbers, etc).
- Story : When we started designing the story for the game 10 months ago, the game had a lesser scope. Believe it or not, we thought we would be only capable of including big dungeons by reusing a few 3D tilesets with no outdoors. This has changed dramatically and we will have outdoors, towns, temples, woods, mountains, etc besides indoor areas. The original story was adapted to our graphical limitations. Now, we'll try to make the story more clear and less stuffed . We will tell less in our presentation (the video plot was 7min. long!), but it will hopefully be much more interesting.
- Dialogues : This is related with the non-combat skills. We want to show you some examples of dialogue interactions with npcs where new lines will appear depending on your non-combat abilites.
- Non-combat skills : We are discussing what non-combat skills must be mandatory in our game. This has many implications, as it affects the classes, the kind of interactions of the party members, the stats and abilities systems, the dialogues, the world map elements and much more. We must be conscious of our limited budget to include the ones that are a must. Once the game systems have been set into place and tested, we can think of including new secondary abilites that we left out from the initial pool.
We will prepare a clear introduction of the non-combat skills so you can understand what we want to achieve.
- Graphics : The new Kickstarter relaunch video will showcase some new cool areas and monsters.
- Dynamic Lightning: Yes! and it's awesome to witness how the shadows of your party members and enemies adapt to the light sources in the scene and project to solid elements like walls, etc! With this change, the game atmosphere will improve quite a bit =)
- Language translation : We will write the story and updates initially in Spanish, and then we will send it to a professional Spanish-English translator so it all is crystal clear. Spanish is the mother tongue of most of us and we feel there has been many communication misunderstandings due to the bad way of expressing ourselves in English during our Kickstarter updates, besides the many typos that cropped out on the Kickstarter home page.
- PR : we will soon start working with a PR agency to help us promoting the game. We feel we didn't have a good graphic material to show to the press. Now we are preparing some renders and ingame screens that will hopefully catch the media eyes this time! =)
There are some other things we'd like to show you, but we are not sure we will be able to. For example, we have a very basic inventory system with the drag&drop functionality, but it's not fully fleshed out yet, so it's better not to rush until it has a better look.?
There are many more things related with the Kickstarter campaign that we must prepare, but this are the main points. Does it sound like a good plan? Let us know on our forums