Picture, if you will, a secret bookshelf. Three times a year, behind a special oak panel, it’s refreshed with a ton of fascinating books about video games, as if by magic. Those books span gamuts, from fascinating anthologies to wonderful cultural histories, all the way to single-book drill downs on some of the best video games in history. But how – you may ask – would you get access to this wonderful magic bookshelf?
Well, it turns out that if you just log on to the Internet and go to the StoryBundle website, these so-called ‘Video Game StoryBundles’ run thrice in a calendar year, and the latest one - https://storybundle.com/games - available at a ‘pay what you want’ prices and including exclusive tomes on Undertale & ROM hacking, & the first-ever eBook version of the acclaimed Indie By Design interview/profile book, is available… when? When? Right now, good Sir!
The first purchase tier ($5 or above) for the Summer Smash Game StoryBundle includes Critical Hits: An Indie Game Anthology – a standout collection edited by Zoe Jellicoe & featuring essays from Holly Gramazio, Austin Walker & many more on culture & game design.
We’re also digging on Sega Arcade Classics: Vol. 2 from Kurt Kalata & friends, a wonderful continuation of the arcade history of one of the greatest video game creators of all time, from obvious classics like Choplifter & Zaxxon to obscure gems like Dark Edge & Super Locomotive. As a bonus, you’ll also get the Sega Arcade Classics Vol.1 ebook bundled in for free.
Another choice book in this bundle – Once Upon A Point & Click by David L. Craddock – looks at the careers of Roberta Williams & Jane Jensen, two of the key movers and shakers in the history of the adventure game – who also happen to be leading women in an often male-dominated industry.
The higher-tier rewards – available at the payment tier of $15 or your local equivalent – is headed by the StoryBundle exclusive Fallen Down: Heartache & Compassion in Undertale by Joel Couture, an intelligent analysis of Undertale‘s soft underbelly with a cover from longtime Undertale contributor Temmie Chang & even a very brief clarifying quote or two from Toby Fox himself.
And we’re stoked to debut Somebody Set Us Up The ROM, Part One – another StoryBundle-exclusive ebook from John Harris, featuring wonderfully detailed analysis on some of the most impressive ROM hacks – changing levels, characters, and entire game modes – out there on the Internet.
Plus we’ve nabbed The Offworld Collection – edited by Laura Hudson & Leigh Alexander, featuring a complex, smart & progressive set of new voices taking us through alternative visions for the future – or indeed the present – of video games, as well as Boss Fight Books – Kingdom Hearts II from Alexa Ray Correia. This endearing blend of personal story & game history often inherent in the Boss Fight Books series actually manages to make the famously complex lore of Kingdom Hearts (somewhat!) understandable, while also talking about what the series meant to Alexa while growing up. (And if you’re interested in more Boss Fight Books, check out their Season 4 Kickstarter!)
Once again, the optional charity for this bundle is the Video Game History Foundation, a brand new non-profit organization dedicated to cataloging, digitizing, and preserving the history of video games.
The initial titles in the The Summer Smash Game Bundle (minimum $5 to purchase) are:
- Critical Hits by Zoe Jellicoe ( StoryBundle Exclusive!)
- HG101 Presents: Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 2 (Includes Vol. 1!) by Kurt Kalata
- Once Upon a Point & Click by David L. Craddock
- The Offworld Collection by Leigh Alexander and Laura Hudson
- Somebody Set Us Up the ROM, Part One by John Harris ( StoryBundle Exclusive!)
- Fallen Down – Heartache & Compassion in Undertale by Joel Couture ( StoryBundle Exclusive!)
- Independent by Design by Stace Harman and John Robertson ( StoryBundle Exclusive!)
- Boss Fight Books: Kingdom Hearts II by Alexa Ray Corriea
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to The Video Game History Foundation
- Receive extra books: If you beat the bonus price, you’ll get the bonus books!