Rhythm-based DJ Game Coming Soon to iPad and Android Tablets, On Display at E3 in DNA Interactive Booth #2959
HONG KONG - May 31, 2011
Playpen Studios today released the first details for Skillz: The DJ Game , due for release later this year on iPad and Android tablets, and PC digital download. Skillz is an award-winning music and rhythm video game (IGF China 2010“Excellence in Audio”) in which players will use virtual turntables to crossfade, scratch and drop in samples to remix popular tracks from top artists including Kid Cudi, Diplo, Crookers, People Under The Stairs, Fedde Le Grand and more. Various modes allow aspiring DJs to casually freestyle one track or pursue a virtual DJ career, unlocking achievements and new venues as they rack up points and build their rep. Those attending E3 this June can stop by the DNA Interactive booth #2959 in the South Hall to see the game in action on an iPad for the first time ever.
“It was awesome seeing the positive public reaction to the game at the IGF China 2010 event,” said Joe Gilbertson, Co-founder of Playpen Studios.“As we continued working on the title, we started playing with mobile tablets and realized the touch-screen interface was perfect for our game. As a DJ myself, I know players will love interacting directly with the screen, triggering samples, riding the crossfader and scratching up the dual turntables to create sweet new mixes. We can’t wait to launch and get this into everyone’s hands!”
Key features include:
• Step Into A World of DJing: Single player music game for all ages that simulates the world of a superstar DJ and allows players to mix and scratch songs using a tablet’s touchscreen interface.
• The Freshest Music: Play over 20 of the hottest dance tracks from world-renowned artists including Diplo, People Under The Stairs, Crookers, Fedde Le Grand and more.
• Exhilarating Gameplay: Tap the screen to trigger samples, swipe the crossfader, and scratch the virtual vinyl to remix songs as you play.
• Build Your Rep: Unlock new levels and earn achievements as you play through various difficulty settings and grow your fan base.
• Rule the Crowd: Compete on a global leaderboard against friends and foes, and unlock achievements with OpenFeint integration.
• Expansive Music Library: Post-release support with new track packs to become available on an ongoing basis.
Playpen also revealed a portion of the game’s tracklist, including:
• Amp Live–“Gary is a Robot”
• People Under the Stairs–“Trippin' at the Disco”
• Samantha James–“Breathe You In (Andy Caldwell Dub)”
• James Pants–“Ka$h (Trizzy&XXXchange remix)”
• Bassnectar–“Teleport Massive”
View the game’s teaser trailer at www.skillzdjgame.com
For more information on Skillz:
• Visit and listen at: www.skillzdjgame.com
• Follow on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/skillzthedjgame
• Like on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/pages/Skillz-The-DJ-Game/210592482297354
About Playpen Studios
Playpen Studios is a Hong Kong-based independent video game developer founded by Joe Gilbertson and James Wong in 2005. After winning a game design competition hosted by Microsoft, the duo went on to become certified developers for the Xbox platform and performed a multitude of project-based services for Chinese developers and publishers. Their first original project came in 2007, when Playpen revealed Skillz: The DJ Game for PC, which went on to win the“Excellence in Audio” award at the Independent Games Festival China in 2010. Since then, Playpen formally announced the 2011 release of Skillz on the iPad and Android tablets, followed by the PC release. To learn more about Skillz and Playpen Studios, visit the official game website at www.skillzdjgame.com, or the company blog at http://playpenstudios.tumblr.com.
John O'Leary, Account Executive, TriplePoint
+1 (310) 587-9200