Shibuya, Tokyo, July 5 2014 – Keiji Inafune, the creator of Mega Man, announced today at the 2014 Anime Expo in Los Angeles that an animated TV Series is in development based on his studio’s forthcoming crowdfunded video game Mighty No. 9. The series will be an action-packed comedy aimed at kids 6-11. Digital Frontier, an animation company in Japan, is developing and producing the series for a worldwide release. After witnessing the massive support internationally for the Kickstarter campaign, Digital Frontier reached out to Inafune to develop the animated TV series. (Note: Digital Frontier will not be using any of the funding from the campaign for the production of the animated series) Digital Frontier is actively seeking partners internationally including but not exclusive to merchandising, broadcasting and production. The studio has been recently pitching the series and is currently in talks with interested parties with announcements coming soon.
In September 2013, Keiji Inafune announced the Kickstarter campaign to fund the development of the Mighty No. 9 video game. The campaign reached over a $1 million USD in the first 24 hours, and by its end totaled about $4 million USD. Inafune rose to acclaim as a game designer after developing the well received Mega Man series, with over 50 titles and more than 30 million units sold worldwide across most major consoles and handhelds. He went on to oversee several other hit games, including Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 2, Dead Rising, and many other beloved hits that all went on to become million sellers internationally. In 2010, he started his own game studio titled comcept Inc. based out of Osaka and Tokyo, Japan.
Digital Frontier has a distinguished history of making high quality, full CG content for film, TV and games. Founded in 1994, Digital Frontier is one of the biggest animation houses in Japan equipped with over 350 award-winning artists on hand not only domestically but also in sister studios based out of Malaysia and Taiwan. The studio has built a large portfolio of international hits such as Appleseed (2004), Appleseed Saga: Ex Machina (2007) Summer Wars (2010), and Wolf Children (2012) as well as a strong catalog of CG animation for game related content, including Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008), White Knight Chronicles (2008), Tekken: Blood Vengeance (2011), Resident Evil: Damnation (2012), and Metal Gear Rising (2013).
The story focuses on BECK, a weak transforming combat robot, who was made to fight in a combat robot league as a part of the MIGHTY NUMBERS, the strongest robots in the world. When Beck is the only robot spared from a virus that forces his teammates to destroy mankind, he has to to find various ways to overcome his own inadequacies so he can stop them.
For PRESS and CORPORATE inquiries please contact us at:
Digital Frontier Inc
Mighty No. 9: The Animated Series Team
Thank you fans for your support of the animated TV series. But unfortunately we will not be able to respond to any fan emails at this time. We will make more announcements about the series in the very near future.
FAQ for Mighty No. 9: The Animated TV Series
• Will the funding raised from the Mighty No. 9 video game Kickstarter campaign be used for this project?
- No. The funding raised on the Kickstarter page for the Mighty No. 9 game is ONLY for the development of the video game. Digital Frontier is seeking investment separately for this animated TV series.
• I’m not press or corporate but I’m a big fan of Mighty No. 9 and would like to contact Digital Frontier. Is that OK?
- Hey fans and Mighty Beckers! We hope you enjoyed our teaser. Everyone in the team is a huge fan of Mighty No. 9 and as such, we would love to communicate with fans at sometime in the future, but unfortunately we are unable to respond to fan emails at this time. Please stay tuned for more information on the TV series at a later date.
• When will the series be released?
- We are currently aiming for a Q2 2016 release.
• What is the genre and target audience for the show?
- The series will be an action packed comedy aimed at kids 6 - 11
• What markets is the series aiming for?
- We are targeting a worldwide release but we currently do not have plans for a simultaneous release. Specific territory release dates will be forthcoming.
• Who is writing the series? Who is directing?
- We are currently in talks with interested parties regarding the showrunner and director.
• Who are the primary investors for this project?
- We are actively seeking partners in support of this new series launch across a range of industries including broadcast and licensing worldwide. If interested in investment / partnership opportunities, please contact Digital Frontier at firstname.lastname@example.org .
• Who will be producing the animation for this series?
- Digital Frontier will be managing the animation production for this series. However we are actively seeking interested parties regarding collaboration opportunities.
• Have voice actors been announced for the series? Will the voice of Beck in the teaser be the same for the series?
- No voice actors have been announced as of yet. We are currently in discussion with interested parties.
• Will the narrator featured in the teaser be in the series?
- Only if he thinks Beck will actually be a worthy hero.
FOR PRESS AND CORPORATE INQUIRIES
Hey fans and Mighty Beckers! We hope you enjoyed our teaser. Everyone in the team is a huge fan of Mighty No. 9 and as such, we would love to communicate with fans at sometime in the future, but unfortunately we are unable to respond to fan emails. Please stay tuned for more information on the TV series at a later date.
For press and corporate inquiries regarding Mighty No. 9: The Animated TV Series, please contact us at