Russia’s largest mobile conference reveals year-on-year 40% smartphone growth, 140% tablet growth, and projected 71% growth in mobile gaming by 2016
Moscow and San Francisco – November 22, 2013 – The largest mobile conference in Russia—and one of the largest mobile events in Europe—Live Mobile! European Mobile Congress has revealed surprising new insights into mobile marketing, mobile hardware, carrier services, and applications.
Speaking at Live Mobile! Alisa Chumachenko, founder and CEO of Game Insight--the event's subject matter expert--said, “We organized Live Mobile! for the second year in a row. Considering the growth rates of the mobile market, such events are very important for the development of the industry. They are essential, because we all need to be aware of the current changes and to share our experiences with each other.”
A point reiterated by many experts at the conference was the increasing use of smartphones and tablets among younger audiences and how these users are open to incentivized in-app or cross-promotional advertisements. Representatives from mobile analytics agencies AppAnnie and Flurry reinforced this point, stating that games are now the leading category driving app store revenue, having increased some 125% in revenue year-on-year since 2012, by way of the now market-dominating in-app purchase business model.
In addition, the Russian mobile application market is projected to see continued growth in the next three years, growing rapidly, with tablet applications projected to grow 109% between now and 2016 (compared to just 86% worldwide). The Russian gaming market in particular is projected to grow 71%, between now and 2016, from 38 million players to an estimated 65 million. And as of September 2013, Russia has become third in combined iOS and Google Play game downloads, only being surpassed by the United States at #1, and China at #2. Russia appears to be an extremely desirable market for iPad game developers—some 40% of all iOS games downloaded in Russia were for Apple’s tablet computer, with the Russian mobile game market overall being dominated by strategy and arcade game titles.
Key Insights from Live Mobile! 2013:
- More than 50% of Russian tablet users consume mobile video daily
- More than 50% of Russian smartphone/tablet users access mobile internet daily
- More than 50% of Russian mobile users play mobile games daily
- More than 50% of Russian mobile users are not opposed to incentivized in-app ads
- More than 60% of Russian mobile users access social media via a mobile device
- Social network VKontakte is twice as popular as Facebook in Russia among mobile users
Past Twelve Months (2012-2013):
- Russian mobile internet growth +2.6% iPad, +5.7% iPhone & Android
- Russia’s mobile internet penetration increased 55% overall
- Russian smartphone penetration increased from 12.3M to 17.4M (40% growth)
- Russian tablet penetration increased from 2.5M to 6.0M (140% growth)
-Russia has moved up over the past year to become the #3 country in combined iOS and Google Play game downloads
Past Three Years (2010-2013):
- Russian mobile video audiences have grown tenfold, from 2M to 20M
- In comparison, USA mobile video audiences have grown 2.5x, from 30M to 80M
- Russian Java games have decreased in market share 3x; mobile games increased by 20x
Additional: Worldwide Mobile Usage Among Young People:
- 18% of children 8-11 years of age use or have access to a smartphone or a tablet computer
- 62% of children 12-15 years of age use or have access to a smartphone
- 26% of children 12-15 years of age use or have access to a tablet computer
- 42% of children 5-15 years of age user or have access to a tablet; only 14% did in 2012
The full version of Live Mobile infographic is available here.
About Live Mobile! 2013
This year more than 600 participants from more than 200 international companies visited and listened to reports and discussions from more than 50 industry experts. Live Mobile! 2013 combined presentations, reports on key industry trends, panel discussions and technical seminars for developers, all provided by representatives from leading mobile platforms. This included key representatives from; Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Samsung, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Yandex, App Annie, Flurry, Social Quantum, J’son & Partners, Afisha, Unilead, Aviasales, and many more. The event’s partner list includes general information partner BFM.Ru, general business partner RBK OAO Media Holding, general gaming media partner and leading international mobile gaming outlet Pocketgamer.Biz and general internet-partner Mail.Ru. The official sponsors of the event are Unilead and devtodev.
For more info, please visit: http://www.livemobilecongress.com
About Game Insight
Founded in 2010, Game Insight is a global developer and publisher of varied, user-focused, and free-to-play games for all major mobile and social platforms, including iOS, Android, Facebook, Vkontakte, and Web. This is the team of more than 800 passionate game developers who actually play games themselves. The internal network consists of 17 different studios that constantly create and update high-quality games, many of which have already become #1 top-grossing hits in mobile application stores and in social networks around the world, which has led Game Insight to build a global audience of more than 150 million users. Today Game Insight is one of the leading companies in mobile game industry. The strategic goal of the company is to become the world’s leader in the development of Freemium games. For more info, please visit http://www.game-insight.com/
Alexis Valerio, Senior PR Manager of North America, email@example.com