- Rosebud Games take inventive FPS to Kickstarter
- Devs' past credits include Silent Hill, The Witcher, F.E.A.R. and more, plus consultation from BioShock designer
- Creator Toni Sanchez available for interview
They've just hit Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1012709089/death-in-candlewood - where they're seeking $60,000 to complete production. We'd love for you to share this with your readers - and, if it helps you to do so, we're able to sort out an interview with creator Toni Sanchez.
Jay Kyburz, BioShock Environment Lead and Neptune's Pride creator, provided design consultation on the game - and came away a fan. "Death In Candlewood combines inventive gameplay with romantic storytelling and sets it all in a gorgeously realised world. A brutal, beautiful shooter," he said.
Anyway - more info. Death In Candlewood is an open-world psychological FPS heavily influenced by the gothic fiction of Edgar Allan Poe and classic horror films. The game plunges its player into the darkest corners of 1940s America and spans a single night in the life of Ray Dune, a doctor whose relationship with reclusive psychiatrist Lester Caravan has reached a deadly crisis point. When his vulnerable adopted son Rizzo mysteriously disappears, Dune is forced to act. Navigating the dark paths of Candlewood Mountains and a terrifying onslaught of inhuman assailants, Dune sets out on a desperate bid to save himself and his son from the bloody machinations of a madman.
Along the way you can traverse the expansive 10km² of game-world in any way you like. You'll drive cars and motorbikes, swim through deep waters, use uncommon weapons and face uncommon enemies as you unravel a dark and twisted romance.
"After years of working on horror games, we decided to spend our energy and resources creating a game which evokes intense emotions of fear, love, joy and sadness," said Toni Sanchez, the game's creator and founding member of Rosebud. "Death In Candlewood aims to make the player really feel. We want each location to be full of emotive, memorable features and through every detail build a ghoulish, romantic story in the player's mind."
Due for release on PC in the spring of 2015, Rosebud also intend to publish Death In Candlewood on Mac and Linux shortly afterwards pending a successful Kickstarter campaign. If it goes exceedingly well, you might just be able to experience the eerie, terrifying atmosphere of Death In Candlewood first-hand through Oculus Rift, too...
In short: What is Death In Candlewood?
- Death In Candlewood is a psychological action game taking place over a single night in and around the 1940s American town of Candlewood
- It's primarily a first-person shooter. But it's not all about gung-ho action - there's also third-person driving, free swimming and a huge open world to explore
- In a departure from many action games, Death In Candlewood is strongly story-based and revolves around a gothic romance between the living and the dead
- It's in production at Rosebud Games, a new studio comprising industry talent with credits including Silent Hill, The Witcher and F.E.A.R.
- The game's already over half-way through development and Rosebud need $60,000 on Kickstarter to finish things off
Rosebud Games was founded by Toni Sanchez and Jingjing Fan in 2011 and are based in Barcelona, Spain. Rosebud is a new studio made up of award-winning industry veterans with previous experience from games like Silent Hill, F.E.A.R. and The Witcher. Rosebud formed out of experts from different developers who wanted to specialise in creating intense, immersive game experiences for PC, Mac and console.