Community Feedback Inspires Full-Length Expansion Campaign Set in Berlin
Kirkland, WA (February 27, 2014) Harebrained Schemes’ Shadowrun: Dragonfall, a major expansion for the magic-meets-cyberpunk tactical RPG mashup Shadowrun Returns, has launched today. Featuring a 12+ hour campaign set in the city of Berlin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall also contains a multitude of new features and enhancements for the core Shadowrun Returns game. The title is available for $14.99 (requires the original game to play) for Windows, OSX and Linux at the Steam store http://store.steampowered.com/app/272030, and a DRM-free version is offered at GOG.com. The original Shadowrun Returns game is also on sale for $14.99 for a limited time.
“The response to Shadowrun Returns was so overwhelming that it inspired us to pull out all the stops in creating Shadowrun: Dragonfall. We really did our best to listen to fans and act on their feedback,” said Jordan Weisman, founder of Harebrained Schemes and creator of the Shadowrun game universe. “We are thrilled to unveil our next story and can’t wait to see all the awesome new Shadowrun stories that the community will create with the Dragonfall expansion and the Shadowrun Editor.”
In addition to the incredible support they gave the project, from its announcement through its historic milestone as the first $1m+ Kickstarted videogame to ship, fans have shared hundreds of free Shadowrun adventures and content with the Steam Workshop community ( http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=234650), greatly expanding the game world developed by Harebrained Schemes.
Shadowrun Returns debuted in 2013 to much acclaim. The game won numerous “Best of 2013” awards including four from Diehard GameFAN (2013 Game of the Year, Best PC Exclusive Game, Best Digital/Downloadable Game and Best Strategy Role Playing Game) as well as a Top Game of the Year Award from Gamasutra, and it appeared as a recommended game in Holiday Gift Guides from IGN and Board Game Geek.
SHADOWRUN: DRAGONFALL STORY
In 2012, magic returned to our world, awakening powerful creatures of myth and legend. Among these was the great dragon Feuerschwinge, who emerged without warning from the mountains of Germany - unleashing fire, death, and untold destruction across the countryside. It took German forces nearly four months to finally shoot her down. This event became known as the Dragonfall.
Now, 42 years later, the world has changed. Unchecked advances in technology have blurred the line between man and machine. Elves and trolls walk among us, ruthless corporations bleed the world dry, and Feuerschwinge’s reign of terror is a distant memory. Germany is splintered - in Berlin, a stable anarchy rules the city. Known as the Flux State, it’s a place where almost anything goes, power is ephemeral, and the right connections can be the difference between success and starvation. For you and your team of battle-scarred shadowrunners, there’s no better place to earn a quick payday.
But a new threat is rising, one that could mean untold chaos and devastation. One that soon has you and your team caught on the wrong side of a deadly conspiracy. The only clue: whispers of the Dragonfall. Rumors that the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge may still be alive, waiting for the right moment to return…
SHADOWRUN: DRAGONFALL FEATURES
- Experience a New Full-Length Campaign: Return to the “Tech meets Magic” future of Shadowrun in an all-new 12+ hour campaign. Operating out of an offbeat hub neighborhood, you’ll choose which missions to accept and how you’ll approach them while navigating the dark underbelly of “the Flux”.
- An Exciting New Locale: Shadowrun: Dragonfall transports runners to the Free City of Berlin, a thrilling Shadowrun setting full of gorgeous new hi-res environments, a diverse new cast of characters, and a new soundtrack by Sam Powell, the composer of the original Sega Genesis Shadowrun game.
- Command Your Team: Lead a small team of shadowrunners, each with their own outlook and backstory. The members of your team are designed to play unique roles during missions, and each has a distinct set of skills, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- New Weapons, Portraits, Enemies & More: Try your hand at the long-range sniper rifle, explosive grenade launcher, or stun-inducing taser. Chrome yourself out in the latest cyberware, and take on deadly new enemies - including new magical creatures like gargoyles and fire drakes. Dragonfall brings a host of new items, characters, over 60 new portraits to choose from, and many other improvements to the Shadowrun Returns experience.
- Save Anywhere: You can save your progress at any time during the game. The new save-game functionality is available in new downloads of Shadowrun Returns and through a patch for all existing copies.
- New Game Editor Features: Dragonfall brings a wide range of enhancements to the Shadowrun Returns game editor for community content creators - including a scripting system to better control lighting, tracking mission objectives in the main game UI, placing exploding barrels, and allowing players to input keypad passwords and custom text strings in conversations. In addition, content creators will be able to use all of the new Berlin environment art, items and characters in their own stories along with assets from the original Shadowrun Returns campaign.
Harebrained Schemes is a small team of passionate game developers led by Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, BattleTech, MechWarrior, and many other acclaimed game worlds. Founded in 2011, the Seattle-based studio is centered on deep collaboration between seasoned veterans and fresh talent. Their first title, Crimson: Steam Pirates, was one of Apple’s Benchmark Games of 2011 and one of Metacritic.com’s "Best iPhone Games of 2011." Their next title, Strikefleet Omega, was named one of Google Play’s "Best Games of 2012." In April 2012, Harebrained Schemes made headlines when it launched one of the first 7-figure Kickstarter campaigns for Shadowrun Returns, which appeared on five “Most Anticipated Games of 2013” lists. The game launched in July 2013 to much acclaim and won many best of the year awards. Their latest Kickstarter success story, a digitally-enhanced miniatures board game called Golem Arcana, is due out later this year. http://harebrained-schemes.com/