10/27/2009, Seattle WA: Flying Lab Software is offering members of the United States military the chance to play its critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Pirates of the Burning Sea™ (burningsea.com) for six months at no cost, as well as some exclusive in-game items. This special promotion for members of all branches of the military waives the usual $19.99 purchase cost, and grants six months of play time without the usual $14.99 monthly fee.
“The idea to do what we’re calling the Care Package initially came about as a result of some posts in our Pirates of the Burning Sea community forums,” said Russell Williams, CEO of Flying Lab Software.“One of our players posted about serving in Afghanistan, and it got us thinking about the challenges of trying to play an MMO while in an unpredictable situation like active service. We feel a special gratitude towards the members of the armed forces who take the time to get involved and play our game, in the face of the very difficult job they have to do to keep us all safe.”
Military personnel must sign up at the offer web page http://burningsea.com/military?; by November 30, 2009 to be eligible. Existing Pirates of the Burning Sea™ players who are on active service in the US military may also apply for 6 months of free subscription using the same website.
Pirates of the Burning Sea™ is an MMORPG featuring high-seas action and adventure in a bold world of pirates and plunder. Set against the backdrop of the New World of the 18th century, players can choose one of three nations— England, France or Spain— or choose the role of a Pirate and battle it out for glory and power.
• Choose to be a Naval Officer, Privateer, Freetrader, Buccaneer or Cutthroat.
• Battle against other players to control more than 80 conquerable ports across the Caribbean.
• Engage in tactical ship combat, firing broadsides and boarding the enemy using one of over 150 historical ships, from schooners to formidable first-rate ships-of-the-line.
• Specialize in one of three different styles of land combat— formal Fencing, dual-wielding Florentine or treacherous Dirty Fighting.
• Explore the world and make a name for yourself in thousands of missions.
• Vie for power and wealth in a fully player-driven economy.
• Personalize your ship by designing your own flags, customized sail patterns, and color schemes.
About Flying Lab Software
Flying Lab Software, a Seattle, Washington, based game development company established in 1997, is the maker of the critically acclaimed Rails Across America and the MMORPG Pirates of the Burning Sea. Flying Lab Software is currently working on expanding Pirates of the Burning Sea and several new games for its Casual division, including Upper Deck University, a sports-based title for kids in partnership with The Upper Deck Company. For more information about Flying Lab Software, please visit www.flyinglab.com