CARY, N.C. (December 16, 2009)– Epic Games has released a free, updated version of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK).
UDK is the free edition of the award-winning Unreal Engine 3, and all users are encouraged to download the updated software build at www.udk.com/download.
An extensive list of new features and improvements included with this version of UDK are available at:
In addition, Epic Games maintains a blog that regularly highlights additions to UDK:
The December 2009 UDK Beta upgrade notes are as follows.
New UDK features and tools:
- DLLBind feature
- <*>This significant feature enables UnrealScript to call functions implemented in Windows DLLs.*> <*>UDK users can now write native C++ code to interface with script.*> <*>“DLLBind” gives users the ability to extend the functionality of UDK.*> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DLLBind.html *>
- Material vertex shader control
- <*>Offset static mesh vertices from within the material using world position, vertex colors and“WindDirectionAndSpeed” data.*>
~“WindDirectionAndSpeed” is useful for obtaining wind parameters from any wind actors placed in the level, which can be changed at runtime.
- New visual-only“InteractiveFoliageActor”
- <*>Simulate a spring based on input touch and damage forces.*>
~ Weapon projectile and explosion damage will also apply forces to the foliage actor.
- <*>Extremely low performance impact; costs nearly the same as a static mesh and therefore can be used extensively.*> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/InteractiveFoliageActor.html *>
- New Unreal Editor features
- <*>UDK users can now import 32-bit BMP images.*> <*>View original, displayed, and effective texture resolution in the new Texture Info panel.*> <*>Check out the many other editor upgrades here:*>
- Navigation mesh additions
- <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NavigationMeshTechnicalGuide.html *> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NavMeshManualCreation.html *> <*>Added new path debugging tool.*>
- <*>Build only selected pylons at a time for faster iteration and rapid partial map rebuilds.*>
- ActorX has been updated to support 3ds Max 2010!
- <*>UDK users using 3ds Max 2010 can now export skeletal meshes and animations to binary file formats that the Unreal Editor can import using the ActorX plugin.*> <*>Find it in the /Binaries/Tools/ActorX directory.*>
- Custom lighting and transmission improvements
- <*>Custom lighting can emulate Phong for two-sided materials via new“TwoSidedSign” node.*>
- In-game debugging tool
- <*>"ToggleDebugCamera" now supports selection and shows all materials used by mesh components.*> <*>UDK users can now select meshes at runtime to view what is in front of the player.*>
- Translucent sorting features
- <*>New translucent hair custom triangle sort-order editing mode now available.*> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TranslucentHairSorting.html *>
Improved UDK Features and Tools:
- Level Browser improvements
- <*>New tagging and filtering system with keywords makes searching levels easier than ever before.*> <*>Persistent level actors can now be easily hidden or shown.*> <*>New "PIE Only Visible Levels" toolbar toggle limits which levels get loaded in PIE to only levels that are currently visible.*> <*>New“Lock/Unlock/Hide/Show” settings for all levels via right mouse button (RMB) are now available.*> <*>New "Find in Content Browser" option has been added to the Level Browser.*>
- Unreal Kismet upgrades
- <*>Kismet editor now has navigation history. Handy“Back” and“Forward” buttons make it easy to toggle between actions in the history log.*> <*>Dropping Kismet nodes down on top of ports now auto-wires the node.*> <*>New "Select in Level" option to Kismet right-click menu is now available.*>
- Particle improvements
- <*>New camera-facing options for mesh emitters will override“AxisLock” settings.*>
- Unreal Lightmass
- <*>Scene data exported to Lightmass is now compressed.*>
~ Increases speed of Lightmass startup.
- Mesh Paint Tool
- <*>Interpolating actors (InterpActors) can now be painted on in level viewports using the“Mesh Paint” tool.*> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MeshPaintReference.html *>
- <*>Support for post-physics skeletal control is now available.*> <*>Movie tutorial for animation pipeline:*>
- Miscellaneous editor improvements and fixes
- <*>Greatly improved“Convert Light” tool now supports all light types. Simply right-click on lights in the level viewport to convert them to other types of light.*> <*>New material for geometry mode editing makes it much easier to align volumes and BSP in the world:*>
- <*>AnimSet Editor log spew has been fixed.*> <*>UDK users can now build old UE3 lighting on SM2 cards.*>
- BSP and "Accept Lights" change
- <*>Lights no longer "bleed" through BSP corners.*>
New and Supplementary UDK Documentation:
- Over 170 new video tutorials
- Taking better photos for source material
- Using UnrealScript structs
- Animation documentation
- <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimationOverview.html *> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ImportingAnimationsTutorial.html *> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingSkeletalControllers.html *> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/RootMotion.html *> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimationNodes.html *> <*> http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimSetEditorUserGuide.html *>
More details are available at the Unreal Developer Network (UDN):
Epic Games also maintains links to download mirrors, technical documentation and support resources at www.udk.com/forums.
? 2009, Epic Games, Inc. Epic, Epic Games, Unreal, Unreal Development Kit, Unreal Editor, Unreal Engine, AnimSet Editor, Unreal Kismet, Unreal Lightmass and UnrealScript are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Senior PR Manager
Epic Games, Inc.
+1 919 447 4515