Jason Kingsley responds to recent controversy around the future of single-player games
In an interview with Develop's sister site MCV, Rebellion's co-founder and CEO set out Rebellion's stall on single player games.
Responding to the recent controversy sparked by EA's closure of Visceral Games and cancellation of the studio's forthcoming single player Star Wars title, Kingsley laid out his and Rebellion's position: "I like single player and co-op games, because I don't really like playing against players, I like playing against the AI. This controversy over single player games going away? If we're making games, we're never going to drop single player. We love single player."
Speaking at the Credit Suisse Conference, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said earlier this month: "As we kept reviewing the game, it continued to look like a style of gaming, a much more linear game, that people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or ten years ago."
This statement doesn't mark EA's retreat from single player games, and indeed Patrick Söderlund, EA's executive vice president, said this wasn't a decision on the viability of single player games, but it has created a controversy where people are talking about the future for single player alongside bigger questions about how to monetise big budget single player experiences.
Rebellion talked to MCV in advance of their 25th anniversary, a feature you can find in the MCV magazine next Friday. The publisher are well known for a string of single player successes like the Sniper Elite and Alien Vs Predator franchises.