Summary / Overview
FreeStyleGames are hiring! We’ve got an exciting opportunity for UI/Frontend Programmers to join the FreeStyleGames’ team and work on our projects.
The UI/Frontend Programmer role involves requires a deep knowledge of the software development process for prototyping, developing, and debugging great User Interfaces, whether this is frontend menus, in game menus, in game HUDs, or similar aspects of video-game development. The role requires a good understanding of user interface design for videogame applications.
The role will require a combination of C++ and scripting skills since we use Scaleform to help build our user interfaces.
The role may involve working on console platforms and mobile devices too.
This role will report to the Lead UI Programmer and the successful candidates will work on areas such as designing, prototyping and delivering front-end and in-game user interface components, menu systems, and any tools or pipelines necessary to deliver these.
This role can be on a Permanent or Fixed-Term Contract basis
- Use a combination of C++ & Scaleform to deliver awesome UIs
- Prototyping & implementing front-ends, including flow & screens, and market-place screens.
- Prototyping & implementing in-game menus and HUD elements
- Design and implementation of tools and systems to enable artists and designers to test and iterate menu designs and artwork
- Implementation of meta-game logic systems (e.g. player progression, challenge achievement tracking and player feedback)
- Ensuring first party compliance & compliant messaging for games systems
- Localisation systems & localisation of game content
- Determining technical solutions to creative design requirements
Role Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Experience)
- At least 2 years C++ experience in the games industry, preferably in a UI development role, though we will also consider candidates who want to move into this role.
- At least 1 shipped game title (any platform)
- Scaleform & ActionScript programming experience
- Positive and outgoing personality, with an aptitude for problem solving
- Good technical implementation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for making and playing games
- Experience in using a 3D modelling package such as Max or Maya, and the APIs and scripting languages these packages provide
- Experience of writing tools or scripts to assist artists and designers
- Experience delivering high-quality user interfaces or menu systems
- Experience delivering high-quality overall game structure and progression systems
- Experience of any 3rd party UI solutions, such as ScaleForm, Iggy, or similar.
- Experience on any current generation consoles
As well as competitive salaries, FreeStyleGames offer a great package of benefits.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Company DC Pension Plan
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Group Life Assurance
- Free Activision|Blizzard games scheme
- 25 days holiday per annum
- A great working environment close to the shops & restaurants of Leamington
FreeStyleGames are a vibrant and exciting Video Game development studio based in Leamington Spa in, England. Formed in 2002, FreeStyleGames was acquired in September 2008 by the publisher of the massively successful Guitar Hero series, Activision, and subsequently developed the highly rated DJ Hero & DJ Hero II titles.
FreeStyleGames always aims to employ ambitious people and continues to encourage fun adventurous lifestyles, enabling the creation of fresh, innovative intellectual property for an ever-expanding global audience.
FreeStyleGames are located in purpose built offices in the centre of the thriving town of Leamington Spa. (30 minutes drive from Birmingham, and a 90 minute train journey from central London).