Location – Guildford
Job Type – Contract
Format – PC/Console
Salary – Excellent day Rate Available DOE
Technical Software Development Engineer in Test
- Take a lead role in developing a test framework for a given franchise / title
- Partner with the development team to promote best development practice to facilitate an integrated test solution.
- Identify and implement methods and processes for integrating technology and effective testing methodologies within the studio game team
- Maintain test framework and automation suite within engine and game code to ensure reliability and accuracy.
- Support test reporting effort by working with the Development and Test Leads to identify and engineer solutions to extract data to aid in the management of the project and to help shape the game design.
- Assist in monitoring, assessing and feeding back to key stakeholders on all critical issues at the relevant key milestones in the project lifecycle.
- Partner with colleagues based in both the UK and US in order to drive testing improvements and communication at a worldwide level.
- Provide milestone reviews, report on gating issues and communicate to key stakeholders.
- Maintain a test focused approach whilst in the development team.
- Identify, investigate and propose test solutions for key game backend requirements, services and solutions, including load, performance, reliability, scalability and security.
Key Success Criteria
- Design, implement and maintain a comprehensive, embedded testing framework including module driver tools, test coverage monitors and automation.
- Formulate strong relationships, based on skills, knowledge and trust, with development teams, development test and local test teams.
- Maintain and constantly improve on consultation and test approach, implementing test strategies designed to increase efficiency by capturing issues early in the development phase.
- Provide early feedback to design staff and other key stakeholders about the test complexity and cost implications of game design decisions.
- Maintain focus on test for the studio, reporting into the studios test organization
- Develop / investigate or use reliable, maintainable, and effective test automation that is easily understood and applied to parts of the title for increasing productivity and more thorough code coverage.
- Apply strong knowledge of the software development process architecture, which results in earlier discovery of bugs and higher-quality builds.
- Partner with counterparts based in the US and UK to help drive testing improvements and communication at a worldwide level.
- Provide expert feedback to development team to guide software architecture design to aid production of high efficiency test tools.
- Build and implement a test strategy that delivers high value throughout the game development lifecycle.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of games software development processes and testing
- Good understanding of testing principles, approaches and techniques
- Understanding & utilisation of test coverage monitors and reporting logged data.
- Preferable experience of working in a distributed team with remote management.
- Knowledge of code build systems.
- Ability to read, design and write C/C++ and C# coding solutions.
- Knowledge of SQL is preferred
- Able to write test plans, test specifications and test cases.
- Good bug analysis skills resulting in timely decision making.
- Familiar with Game engine structure and appropriate technologies
- Excellent office software skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio etc.
Personal Attributes/Interpersonal Skills
- Self-motivated, passionate and self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to remain test focused whilst embedded within a development team.
- Diplomatic team player able to influence behaviour outside your own management structure.
- Passionate about improving games development methodology
- Enthusiastic and highly organized.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills.
- High capacity to learn new technologies quickly.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; must be proficient in English.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional attitude under pressure while keeping a high level of integrity.
- Keen interest in games and games development
B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience
Proven experience as an SDET or in a similar position
To apply please send a CV to email@example.com
Max Hurd - Programming Consultant
OPM Response Ltd
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214420