Salary: £Negotiable DOE
Job Type: Permanent
OPM are delighted to be working with this AAA developer in East Anglia.
As part of the design team, you will act as a bridge between designers and programmers ensuring design tasks can be easily integrated into a project without sacrificing either the overall design vision or exceeding the technical limits of the chosen platform. Autonomously design and implement systems for gameplay, metagame & mechanics that drive the player experience demonstrating fun, emergent & interesting gameplay.
Demonstrate strong technical skills and be closely integrated with the programming team including attending regular code meetings, keeping abreast of current and future developments in technology and/or game systems, and sharing this knowledge between the two disciplines.
Acting as a ‘bridge’ between design and code, ‘translate’ in both disciplinary directions, articulating necessary approaches and the reasoning behind the decisions made for any given technique or approach. Investigate, evaluate and refine new and existing techniques, workflows and pipelines, taking them to a production ready standard and rolling them out to the wider team.
Undertake the design and implementation of technically sophisticated game systems, under the direction of the Lead Designer and other key individuals. Assist in setting up and maintaining the design workflow as well as provide feedback on decisions about which scripts, tools, engine features or development approaches a project should use.
Act in an advisory position to the wider design team when setting up / implementing game systems or techniques, as well as dealing with implementation problems as they arise.
Problem solve and have a “client” based approach, providing support services to the design department while working within the technical architecture and any limitations directed by code. Demonstrate enthusiasm and proficiency in support such as the ability to analyse a workflow looking for potential improvements in flexibility, usability or expressiveness, maintaining organised support queues, proactively soliciting work, problems to solve or new features for development.
Provide feedback and debugging services for complex design implementation and be considered a resource for problem solving. Maintain awareness of any and all code changes that may affect design implementation techniques.
• Demonstrable experience and a technical proficiency as well as a strong creative design vision;
• Proficiency with industry standard editing solutions such as Unreal Ed (or engine equivalent);
• Extensive knowledge of design tools, and the ability to customise them in order to streamline work for specific projects;
• Knowledge of in-house engines, tools packages and platform capabilities, and an understanding of their limitations;
• Demonstrable understanding of, and the ability to facilitate, rapid prototyping and development of designer facing systems.
• Self-motivated and proactive in seeking out answers and preventing issues
• Demonstrable understanding of, and the ability to anticipate, the needs of the design team
• Works well as part of a team, but also able to take direction and to work with minimal supervision
• Excellent organisational, problem solving and troubleshooting skills. Flexible and adaptable, ability to find solutions that will facilitate technical and creative improvements with minimal impact on resource and time restraints;
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Basic knowledge of code languages;
• Genuine interest in game development and the future of games.
• Passion and ability to work as a positive, collaborative, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire to be part of the team.
• Experience in C++ or equivalent coding language;
• Working Knowledge of UnrealEngine3 / UDK or comparable engine, especially in the areas of code scripting (such as Unreal Script, Lua etc) and in visual scripting systems such as Kismet;
• Wider experience of content creation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Flash, Visio, Xara
For the opportunity to be part of this team please send your cv and work examples FAO Catherine to email@example.com or call +44 1206 214416
Catherine Cope| Design and Analytics Consultant
OPM Response Ltd | Ground Floor, Anderson House, 228 Old London Road, Marks Tey, Colchester, CO6 1HD
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214416 | Email: Catherine@opmjobs.com