Software Test Engineer
Are you passionate about testing in order to create great games on multiple platforms? Would you like to work in a fun, dynamic, energetic group that supports some of the brightest developers creating some of the best titles in games and interactive entertainment?
My Client is looking for an innovative, pro-active and experienced Software Test Engineer with outstanding communication and team-working skills to play an integral part in the testing of key game features and areas.
The prime responsibility of the role is to leverage and combine key developer, franchise, feature and technology knowledge with testing expertise to identify, analyse and report defects impacting overall title quality. Maintaining high standards and knowledge of defect information is critical to success.
The Software Test Engineer will need to pro-actively seek information from Test and Developer partners in order to produce or update detailed test designs and scripts, theme the latest in house tooling and design / request reusable technologies that efficiently enhance or streamline Test efforts.
The Software Test Engineer will also be responsible for regularly reporting the status and trajectory of their feature area in parallel with the development process; considering risks and opportunities, bug data, coverage data, key milestones and any other project-specific issues and key performance indicators.
Key Accountabilities (will vary depending on role)
- Create and maintain test cases for assigned area as well as knowledge base whilst ensuring efficient, thorough and up to date testing is carried out.
- Prioritise work accordingly within the test schedule and defined process.
- Coordinate and monitor testers who will help test your feature/area theming a variety of methodologies (test cases, scenario testing, session testing etc)
- Maintain area of expertise including risk assessment, mitigation and solutions for issues.
- Identify and implement methods and processes for establishing best practice and effective testing methodologies across projects.
- Maintain and constantly improve on test approach, implementing process designed to reduce cost by capturing issues early in the development phase.
- Impact analysis for any project design changes with regular and frequent communication to the reserves team.
- Monitor, assess and feedback on all critical issues at the relevant key milestones in the project lifecycle.
- Support senior staff in the production of reports & documentation regarding test progression and status, considering risks, bug data, coverage data and any other project issues.
- Be aware of business priorities in order to ensure test is working effectively and work closely with team to ensure they are met.
- Partner with designated reserves team to allow for collaborative test case scripting, planning and the defining of resource requirements.
- Formulate strong relationships, based on skills, knowledge and trust, with development teams, development test and reserves test.
- Constantly promote test within development and actively seek out tasks that would benefit from test input.
- Creation and overall responsibility for test cases and toolbox in given areas of game.
- Help with and feedback on the creation, coordination and implementation of test planning strategy.
- When necessary liaise and work with other testing functions worldwide to ensure process improvement and knowledge transfers.
- Be a point of contact for development teams in your given area, consult and improve understanding of testing needs and practices.
- Coordinate and maintain regular reporting including risk analysis.
- Continually assist in the development and production of key performance indicators (KPI’s) for review.
- Ensure and maintain absolute software and hardware security, inputting into roles and processes accordingly.
Success Criteria (will vary depending on role)
- Maintain area of expertise including risk assessment, mitigation and solutions for issues
- Fully own all testing aspects of assigned feature or area
- Responsible for timely bug generation and management of bug lifecycle
- Know and report feature/area health and status
- Contribute to testing growth and advancement within the department
- Effectively lead the small team of testers who help test your feature/area
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of software development processes and technical understanding of game elements.
- Proven track record in entertainment testing in a test department with at least 3 titles completed and shipped.
- Familiar with bug tracking and test case management software solutions
- Experience of writing test cases and ability to breakdown a game feature into component parts to identify areas where issues may arise.
- Understanding of different development methodologies and ability to adapt test approach to best fit the chosen development framework.
- Experience in directing staff and focusing team effort
- Preferably ISEB/ISTQB qualified
- Able to write test plans, test specifications and test cases
- Good bug analysis skills resulting in timely decision making
- Familiarity with Game engine structure and appropriate technologies
- Design & coding experience theming C/C++ and C#/related preferable
- Excellent office software skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio etc.
Personal Attributes/Interpersonal Skills
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Passionate about pursuing advanced testing methodologies
- Enthusiastic and highly organized.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills.
- High capacity to learn new technologies quickly
- Strong ownership qualities with awareness and understanding of software deliverables and framework.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; must be proficient in English.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional attitude under pressure while keeping a high level of integrity
- An interest in software testing and video games is essential along with good project management capabilities and thinking.
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science, design, engineering or equivalent work experience
To apply please send a copy of your CV in Word format to email@example.com
Paige Hornabrook | QA & Localization Consultant
OPM Response Ltd
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214417 |
Email: Paige@opmjobs.com |
The salary bracket is approximate and is no guarantee of the income on offer. Salary and benefits will be discussed with candidates at interview with the company and are individually negotiated by OPM.