Salary: £Negotiable DOE
Job Type: Permanent
OPM are delighted to be working with this AAA developer in East Anglia.
The successful applicant will create compelling and interesting gameplay within given constraints, taking responsibility for entire game systems and demonstrating active involvement in the design creation process whilst ensuring the overall vision of the studio is maintained.
• Take an active and vocal part in creative/planning discussions alongside the Lead Designer, Principal Designer, Gameplay Director and Creative Director.
• Take responsibility for entire games systems - taking an initial agreed creative vision and documenting it using an appropriate medium (3D visuals/annotated images/written specs), using technical knowledge and experience to shape explanations.
• Liaise with artists/coders/animators to ensure their understanding of the documentation and that their output remains as close as possible to the vision of the mechanic/game. Where necessary, adjust and balance parameters using knowledge and experience to create a polished end product.
• Take responsibility in reacting to playtest data from multiple sources, self and peer reviews as well as more formal external analysis. For the latter, use raw data and usability studies to suggest and implement effective changes that retain the original creative direction as well as meet quality and commercial requirements. Work proactively to critique your own work as well as others.
• Demonstrate an understanding and awareness of schedules – both within the design team and the studio as a whole. Liaise effectively with Production ensuring a workable balance between creative demands and commercial/business requirements. Show flexibility and adaptability in relation to publisher/production/business requirements whilst remaining a positive champion of the design vision.
• Work effectively with other disciplines as required, using experience and knowledge to better interactions between disciplines and to ensure an appreciation of other's conflicts
• Act as a mentor to more junior members, offering constructive advice where appropriate, assisting in prioritising and supporting development of relationships within the studio. Ensure your own particular areas of expertise or experience are shared within the team whether through one-to-ones or team training. Remain up-to-date with current techniques and tools used in design and help ensure that an ethos of continual learning is encouraged throughout the design team.
• Knowledge of the game development process gained from working on multiple shipped titles of a recognised AAA standard.
• At least one demonstrable example of designing and implementing an innovative game system from concept to completion in a shipped product.
• Proven ability to design, select and implement mechanics that are in harmony with the vision of the project, and the levels within which they sit.
• Experience with balancing, ramping, pacing and meta-design of mechanics across an entire game.
• Ability to accurately communicate designs through documentation with the use of written English, visual aids and other supporting material (such as 3d mock-ups, graphs, diagrams, spread sheets, etc).
• Strong prototyping skills
• Excellent verbal communication skills and understanding of practical mathematics.
• Practical experience with 3D game editing tools (e.g. Unreal, CryENGINE, Unity)
• Excellent self organisation and analytical skills
• Leadership skills, and ability to organise and task other team members, including those in design and in other disciplines.
• Scripting experience (text based or visual - e.g. kismet)
• Experience working on a product featuring shooting, melee combat or stealth mechanics
• Experience working with networked, co-operative game and/or combat systems.
• Degree in an appropriate subject (e.g. Games, Product Design, Computer Science)
• Experience with Unreal or Unity
• Understanding of animation fundamentals/posing/timing/etc
• Rudimentary animation skills (Matinee for UE3/UE4 or equivalent)
• Experience using Visio, Word, Excel, Power point
• Photoshop/Illustrator or similar
For the opportunity to be part of this team please send your cv and work examples FAO Catherine to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 1206 214416
Catherine Cope| Design and Analytics Consultant
OPM Response Ltd | Ground Floor, Anderson House, 228 Old London Road, Marks Tey, Colchester, CO6 1HD
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214416 | Email: Catherine@opmjobs.com