Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 230 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham has recently opened with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) and Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2016 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have an extraordinary opportunity for a talented Senior Audio Programmer with an excellent knowledge of and passion for enabling leading audio content in console games. Working closely with the audio team, you will be a key driver of audio quality on a huge, unannounced AAA console title with a clear vision of how to make our title truly stand out from the competition.
- Researching state of the art techniques and developing innovative and original ideas towards in game audio solutions.
- Audio Evangelist
- Development of technical design specification, implementation and test plans
- Testing, debugging and revision of new or existing engine systems
- Profiling, performance-analysis, performance tuning
- Other usual responsibilities such as:
- Working with Programmers, Development Directors, QA Testers and game project production staff
- Supporting other programmers on team
- Providing mentorship to other Programmers
- Meeting production schedules and deadlines
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- An understanding of current developments within interactive audio
- Advanced understanding of Acoustics and Sound Proliferation
- Knowledge of how audio fits in game architectures and pipelines, including relevant hardware, software and compression issues
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Working knowledge of Wwise middleware
- Working Knowledge of Unreal Engine and Blueprints
- 4 years’ experience working in the game industry or related industries
- Excellent debugging and communication skills
- Experience/Interest in video game audio content creation or traditional sound design experience
- Experience of Audio Engineering would be an advantage
- Experience of Audio Design would be an advantage
- Experience in console programming an advantage
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendry annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org