Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 260 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham has recently opened with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) and Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2016 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for two experienced and versatile Level Designers to work with us on exciting new AAA console titles.
- Collaborate with designers, artists and programmers to create amazing, fun, innovative levels
- Drive the design of your levels through all stages of the development process from initial design brief to grey box and through to final shipped product
- Responsible for the planning, layout and refinement of your levels from high-level concept to low-level scripting
- Use player-feedback and design direction to hone the gameplay experience
- Understand the narrative requirements and themes of each level and be able to weave these into the experience
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Shipped multiple AAA console titles as a level designer
- Excellent understanding of scripting and game logic
- Experience in Scripting/level building in one or more current generation engines UE4, Unity, CryEngine etc
- An understanding of learning curves, pacing, and player motivations
- An ability to weave artistic themes together with core mechanics to build immersive gameplay experiences
- An ability to propose creative solutions to complex level design problems
- An in-depth knowledge of current games and gaming trends
- A passion for making great games
Bonus skills and experience:
- Experience of 3D modelling
- Fine art skills
- Unity experience
- Experience of designing levels for 3D platform games
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply at http://www.sumo-digital.com
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org