Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 260 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham has recently opened with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) and Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2016 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have an exciting Lead Programmer opportunity working in Unreal 4 on a large, undisclosed AAA project currently in pre-production.
- Understand and direct the work of the coding team
- Mentor the code team and lead by example
- Work with the team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 5 years' experience
- 4 years' experience working in the game industry required
- 3+ years' experience in console programming
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent debugging skills
- Practical experience with 3D math
- Worked on at least 2 shipped games
- Experience with asset pipelines dealing with large scale data sets
- Experience working on at least one large scale game project
Demonstrated Ability To:
- Communicate effectively within a large group/multiple project environment
- Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- High personal standards as demonstrated in quality and pride of work
- Create complex systems from start to finish
- Quickly master tools and development processes
- To take direction and criticism
- Meet deadlines designated for team projects
- Professionalism and the ability to function well within a team
- Mentor less experienced programmers
What We Offer
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
Sumo offers every employee the best chance of a secure future in the games industry by focusing on quality and the reliable delivery of their games and by making the most of the passion of its staff.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park.
If you have a passion for making and playing games, have excellent skills and experience, dedication and, most importantly, the talent we need - then we really want to hear from you.