Salary: £Negotiable DOE
Job Type: Permanent
OPM are delighted to be working with this AAA developer in East Anglia.
The Lead Level Designer is responsible for working with the senior management team to help create define and shape the overall vision of the game/project as well as the creative and production direction needed to achieve this. Specific focus is on responsibility for whole areas of level design, creating compelling, high quality and interesting gameplay with a strong story-telling player experience, yet within given constraints.
You will also have responsibility for management and development of the level design team – ensuring both day to day schedule tasks and long-term career/development needs are met. You will also support the Lead Designer in ensuring the overall design requirements are met – to quality, schedule and vision – using knowledge of game design development, software/hardware and potential risks.
Take an active and vocal part in creative/planning discussions alongside the Lead Designer, Principal Designer and Creative Director. Demonstrate strong creative expertise in the ability to craft game design into an immersive story-telling experience. Ensure contributions are also useful, constructive and appropriate. Demonstrate commercial awareness in thoughts and suggestions and ensure work across the level design team is in line with, compliments and represents the overall vision. Maintain overall view of this across all teams throughout the development of game.
Take responsibility for a designated area of design work (for example an entire level) – taking an initial agreed creative vision and documenting it using an appropriate medium (3D visuals/annotated images/written specs), using technical knowledge and experience to shape explanations. Liaise with artists/coders/animators to ensure their understanding of the documentation and that their output remains as close as possible to the initial vision of the level. Where necessary, adjust and balance parameters using knowledge and experience to create a polished end product.
Take responsibility in reacting to playtest data from multiple sources, self and peer reviews as well as more formal external analysis. For the latter, use raw data and usability studies to suggest and implement effective changes that retain the original creative direction as well as meet quality and commercial requirements. Work proactively to critique own work as well as others.
Maintain strong relationships and effective communication with senior members of art, design, programming & production. Show flexibility and adaptability in relation to publisher/production/business requirements whilst remaining a positive champion of the design vision.
Build and maintain a strong and talented level design team through effective recruitment, development and personnel management considering both current and future requirements of the business. Ensure your own particular areas of expertise or experience are shared within the team whether through one-to-ones or team training. Keep up-to-date with current techniques and tools used in design and help ensure that an ethos of continual learning is encouraged throughout the design team.
• Knowledge of the game design development process gained from working on multiple shipped titles, majority of which must be story-based AAA standard.
• Solid experience of mentoring others, giving direction and being holistically responsible for level design on a project combined with practical application of skills.
• Ability to generate innovative and highly creative level designs with a strong story-telling player experience.
• Ability to accurately communicate designs through documentation with the use of written English, visual aids and other supporting material (such as 3d mock-ups, graphs, diagrams, spreadsheets, etc).
• Strong prototyping skills
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Solid understanding of practical mathematics.
• Practical experience with 3D game editing tools (e.g. Unreal, CryENGINE, Unity)
• Excellent self organisation and analytical skills
• Leadership skills, and ability to organise and task other team members, including those in design AND in other disciplines.
• Strong technical and creative problem solving skills
• Passion for video games and design
• Scripting experience (text based or visual - e.g. kismet)
• Passion and ability to work as a positive, collaborative, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire to be part of the team.
• Experience of managing a team of designers including (but not limited to) recruitment, training and development, employee relations issues and scheduling demands
• Degree in an appropriate subject (e.g. Games, Product Design, Computer Science)
• Experience working on a product featuring shooting, melee combat or stealth mechanics
• Experience with Unreal or Unity
• Understanding of animation fundamentals/posing/timing/etc
• Rudimentary animation skills (Matinee for UE3/UE4 or equivalent)
• Experience using Visio, Word, Excel, Power point
• Photoshop/Illustrator or similar
For the opportunity to be part of this team please send your cv and work examples FAO Catherine to email@example.com or call +44 1206 214416
Catherine Cope| Design and Analytics Consultant
OPM Response Ltd | Ground Floor, Anderson House, 228 Old London Road, Marks Tey, Colchester, CO6 1HD
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214416 | Email: Catherine@opmjobs.com