Summary of the role
FreeStyleGames are looking to hire a Graphics Programmer to join the Engine Programming team at FreeStyleGames, working on the latest generation of consoles.
This is an exciting opportunity for programmers who are passionate about making awesome real-time rendering tech, as we strive to develop leading edge graphics technology on next generation consoles. At FreeStyleGames, we strive to make our games look best-in-class.
The ideal candidate is expected to have proven experience within a similar role, be an exceptionally creative problem solver, an excellent communicator, a positive team member and always shows high levels of enthusiasm and talent for creating leading-edge rendering technology for games.
Working within the Engine Team, the Graphics Programmer will work within our talented and experienced engine team. The candidate must show they are able to deliver high quality results to an agreed schedule. The candidate must be able to solve complex programming challenges, be familiar with multiple development platforms, and be able to design well-architected, efficient systems.
This role will report to the Lead Engine Programmer.
- Develop rendering code & tools, with the aim of producing best-in-class results
- Remain up-to-date with cutting-edge real-time graphics techniques; by reading internet articles & whitepapers, attending conferences (or reading/watching conference presentations), active participation in the Activision graphics mailing list, and so on
- Technology research and development. This might include investigation into Middleware solutions or Technology Partners
- Liaising with your Lead Programmer & customers to understand and prioritise rendering requirements for the Engine, in order to realise the goals of the game(s) which are being developed using the Engine
- Fixing bugs which are assigned to you. Prioritise high priority bugs, and ensure that these are promptly fixed, and ensure that lower priority bugs are also fixed in an appropriate time-frame
- Writing robust, high-quality code which conforms to the FSG coding standards
- Working with the Lead Programmer to help define Technical Budgets per-platform
Role Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Experience)
- At least 2 shipped videogame titles
- At least 3 years of C++ programming experience in the games industry
- Experience of one or more of the following consoles : PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox360, Xbox One, WiiU, or PC.
- DirectX and/or OpenGL programming.
- In-depth knowledge of Shader programming (Vertex & Pixel shaders, and shader languages [e.g. HLSL, GLSL, and Cg])
- Positive and outgoing personality
- Excellent creative problem solving abilities
- Knowledge of contemporary graphical programming techniques, such as (but not limited to) post-processing techniques, real-time shadows, AA techniques, HDR, Physically-Based Shaders, and any rendering techniques which are used in modern video games.
- Excellent organisational abilities
- An ability to accurately & realistically schedule tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent abilities in high-quality Software Engineering
- An eye for graphical detail & quality
- Excellent bug finding & fixing skills
- A deep understanding of memory management, and how to efficiently use memory resources
- Excellent code profiling & optimisation skills
- Have a passion for playing & making games
- Good understanding of animation concepts, requirements and processes
- Use of various profiling & debugging tools, such as Pix, GPad, WiiX
- Experience debugging graphical artefacts and bugs
- Experience of using 3rd Party MiddleWare solutions
- Hold a Degree in Computer Science, Maths, or similar technical qualification
- API documentation
As well as competitive salaries, FreeStyleGames offer a great package of benefits.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Company DC Pension Plan
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Group Life Assurance
- Free Activision|Blizzard games scheme
- 25 days holiday per annum
- A great working environment close to the shops & restaurants of Leamington
FreeStyleGames are a vibrant and exciting Video Game development studio based in Leamington Spa in, England. Formed in 2002, FreeStyleGames was acquired in September 2008 by the publisher of the massively successful Guitar Hero series, Activision, and subsequently developed the highly rated DJ Hero & DJ Hero II titles.
FreeStyleGames always aims to employ ambitious people and continues to encourage fun adventurous lifestyles, enabling the creation of fresh, innovative intellectual property for an ever-expanding global audience.
FreeStyleGames are located in purpose built offices in the centre of the thriving town of Leamington Spa. (30 minutes drive from Birmingham, and a 90 minute train journey from central London).