Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital’s Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio’s first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2017 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced designer to join the Sumo Nottingham design team to help us with an exciting new project.
• Work with the team to concept ideas for new features and content.
• Ensure your design encourages and rewards use of core game mechanics.
• Actively seek out feedback to refine your designs.
• Collaborate with code, art, animation, and audio teams to implement your designs.
• Mentor other designers producing design work.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Required Skills & Experience
• Worked on at least one published game.
• A clear understanding of game design principles.
• A positive attitude towards receiving feedback on your work and using it to make your designs better.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to write clear and concise design documentation.
• Ability to balance mechanics and gameplay using whiterooms.
What We Offer
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes’ walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.