Summary / Overview
FreeStyleGames has an exciting opportunity to join the team as an Engine Programmer within the Programming Department at FreeStyleGames, working on the latest generation of consoles.
The ideal candidate is expected to have proven experience within a similar role, be an exceptionally creative problem solver, an excellent communicator, a positive team member and always shows high levels of enthusiasm and talent for creating great technology for games.
Working within the Engine Team, the Engine Programmer will work within our talented and experienced engine team. The candidate must show they are able to deliver high quality results to an agreed schedule. The candidate must be able to solve complex programming challenges, be familiar with multiple development platforms, and be able to design well-architected, efficient systems.
This role will report to the Lead Engine Programmer.
- Develop engine code, tools & technology, with the aim of furthering the general capabilities & quality of all aspects of the FLAME engine
- Remain up-to-date with relevant programming techniques; by reading internet articles & whitepapers, attending conferences (or reading/watching conference presentations), active participation in the Activision graphics mailing list, and so on
- Liaising with your Lead Programmer & customers to understand and prioritise feature requirements for the Engine, in order to realise the goals of the game(s) which are being developed using the Engine
- Fixing bugs that are assigned to you. Prioritise high priority bugs, and ensure that these are promptly fixed, and ensure that lower priority bugs are also fixed in an appropriate time-frame
- Writing robust, high-quality code which conforms to the FSG coding standards
- Technology research and development. This might include investigation into Middleware solutions
- Working with the Lead Programmer to help define Technical Budgets per-platform
Role Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Experience)
- At least 2 shipped videogame titles
- At least 3 years of C++ programming experience in the games industry
- Experience of one or more of the following consoles : PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox360, Xbox One, WiiU, or PC.
- Positive and outgoing personality
- Excellent creative problem solving abilities
- Excellent organisational abilities
- An ability to accurately & realistically schedule tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent abilities in high-quality Software Engineering
- Excellent bug finding & fixing skills
- A deep understanding of memory management, and how to efficiently use memory resources
- Excellent code profiling & optimisation skills
- Have a passion for playing & making games
- Use of various profiling & debugging tools, such as Pix, GPad, Memory Validator
- Experience of using 3rd Party MiddleWare solutions
- Hold a Degree in Computer Science, Maths, or similar technical qualification
- API documentation