We are looking for an exceptional designer to join our talented and motivated team working on Total War: ARENA, our free to play 10v10 RTS battle game.
The successful candidate will drive game features that make individual battles massively engaging for our players and you will also be able offer insights that drive the way our players will want to invest in their gaming experience. You'll become part of a world class development team working on a Total War title that has massive potential. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a real impact on the title leading up to release.
As a key member of the Arena design team, you will focus full ownership and responsibility of multiple features and ensure they are fully delivered to the highest quality. This will include game systems, social features, content research and planning, UX optimisation, monetisation, progression balancing and more.
You will be responsible for creating and maintaining fun and balanced systems.
You will work with large amounts of data and analytics; be confident interpreting and applying the results in a smart way to continuously take game development forward.
Excellent communication and teamwork are critical in this position. Working on the features that you are responsible for, you will collaborate and communicate with other designers, artists, animators and programmers across the project. You will share regular updates to various disciplines across the team and be proactive in sharing progress and resolving problems you come across.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience on core systems design, and seeing those designs through to implementation and with ongoing support
- Experience of designing and tuning free to play monetisation
- Have experience of working on a strategy game as a core/balance/system designer, or be a keen strategy player
- Expert in Excel, with the ability to analyse large and complex sets of data
- Excellent communication skills; you will be working with multiple disciplines in a team-oriented environment, and must be able to clearly communicate goals
- You must be able to listen to and be open to feedback and integrate that into your work
- Able to write clearly and succinctly
- Completed at least one well received, shipped project in a design role
- An inquisitive mind; be interested in why things work, not just what and how
- An exceptional academic background
- An additional games development skill such as VB, C++, Python, Art skills or writing skills
- Deep understanding of Total War, World of Tanks, a MOBA and any F2P mobile games
- Wide understanding of the full range of free to play games and the strategy genre
- Clear understanding of and experience of making in game purchases
And we are led by our passion for gameplay, which has in turn made us a leader in UK games development. Established in 1987, we have gathered our team of world-class, diverse and multi-national talent, dedicated to crafting some of the most renowned gaming experiences and giving our loyal followers worlds in which to immerse themselves.
Our focus on quality has filled our awards cabinet over the years – from BAFTAs to Ivor Novellos. We owe this to our team – creatives from a breadth of backgrounds, who unite to share their ideas and expertise, to craft the highest quality gameplay.