Job Type: Permanent
Project: Undisclosed AAA console game
My client is a powerhouse in the games industry! Their studio in London is looking for a Character Supervisor to join them working on their next generation of titles.
You’ll be joining an experienced team of artists responsible for delivering their next-generation character assets. Working as a hands-on artist with additional responsibility for team leadership of part of the art department, you will help to solve the exciting challenges facing the studio development teams.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced character lead to join the internal permanent art team who, through supervising the character team and working together with the rest of the art team, will have a critical role to play in shaping their future asset creation and the working practices of the studio.
• Being the key point of contact for the character team and take responsibility for delivering character assets for the studio projects.
• Motivate and inspire the character team to deliver top quality, industry standard work.
• Review and provide guidance to the work produced by the character artists.
• Hands on delivery of benchmark quality character assets to a superb level of skill and ability.
• Direction setting with strong judgement and decision making to make the best decisions for the team
• Maintain areas of the projects Art Bibles, which relate to the aesthetic and technical implementation of character assets.
• Be responsible for team delivery with attention to hitting project schedules and budgets (working with production and management team when applicable).
• Demonstrate a superior level of industry and consumer knowledge, with the ability to see what is going on with character asset creation at an industry level (technical and creatively). Proactively contribute to drive the department and studio to the forefront of games development.
• Leadership, supervision and strategic planning to proactively shape the direction of the character team and contribute to the development of the wider art department.
• Team management of the character artists including performance review, team development, training and recruitment. Ensure the character department has appropriate creative and technical skills for all current and future projects.
• Work with the Art Directors and other project leads to interpret creative and technical briefs that help to create the art style of the project.
• Keep character artwork on track (both in terms of style, quality, and delivery) for all studio productions.
• Work closely with the technical art, tools and code team to maintain and streamline the character tools and pipeline, including establishing and maintaining technical standards and best practice (directory structure, file & node naming, and versioning).
• Artistic and technical guidance, mentorship and training of the character team
• To be proactive in self-development and the development of others
• Co-ordination/communication of the studio team of character artists, proactively providing regular updates and reports to the Art Manager, other Art Department Supervisors and project Art Directors.
• Digest studio, department and project information and support communicating this to the character team.
• Modeling, texturing, and UV mapping skills of art assets (both low and high poly).
• Experience as a Lead Character Artist on at least one published console title
• Skeletons and deformers, shape libraries and procedural modeling techniques.
• Strong understanding of rigging and the principles of animation.
• Knowledge of anatomy, kinematics and physical behaviors.
• Establishing and meeting deadlines and working to a budget, including the proven ability to set and work within the technical and memory constraints of a game.
• Technical understanding of digital art pipeline issues.
• Awareness of current & upcoming game titles & technology.
• Implications of style, quality, technical, scheduling and budgetary requirements for character art production
• Leadership, team management and organisation, together with the ability to take responsibility for assigning bodies of work to the team.
• Providing effective & constructive feedback & critique of other’s work.
• Communications and a talent for project & people management.
• Able to work as part of the senior creative team, to interpret decisions and to communicate them to the team.
• Ability to arbitrate sensitively between creative desires and production requirements.
A competitive benefits package is on offer for the successful applicant as well as help relocating. All applicants should be eligible to work in the EU and if not must have a proven AAA games background.
To ensure a speedy application please email your up to date CV in MS WORD FORMAT and Show Reel to firstname.lastname@example.org
So what are you waiting for? Don't miss out on this great career opportunity!
Jon Norfolk | Art & Animation Consultant
OPM Response Ltd
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214425 |
Email: Jon@opmjobs.com |
The salary bracket shown is approximate and is no guarantee of the income on offer. Salary and benefits will be discussed with candidates at interview with the company and are individually negotiated by OPM.