Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 260 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham has recently opened with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) and Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2016 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
The Art Director is responsible for defining and maintaining visual quality standards for a project. This includes the design and development of artwork and general management and supervision over environment, character, visual effects and animation. It is the Art Director’s responsibility to work in conjunction with the Creative Director and Design Lead to set and lead the quality standards for a game, with profound knowledge of techniques and technical limitation requirements.
- Manage art teams to establish the visual content/art for each project.
- Take an active role in planning of projects and project pitches.
- Ensure art teams have the proper techniques and tools to deliver top quality art on a project.
- Regularly reviews and provides feedback to art staff.
- Mentor and provide strong career guidance to art staff.
- Establish art staff best practices and methods.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- 7 years experience in game development plus 3 shipped titles
- 3 or more years experience in an art management role
- Excellent Knowledge of current game art production pipelines and practices.
- Excellent Knowledge of all the latest games that are in direct competition with the products that are being developed at the studio. This is to ensure quality level of art is maintained.
- A deep understanding of all art software packages used in studio.
- Excellent Knowledge of colour theory, composition and staging techniques.
- Knowledge of possible future software packages that may help during production and the ability to bring them into the current workflow.
- Knowledge of possible outsource vendors and the ability to integrate them into production.
- Working knowledge of engine and tool sets required to generate assets.
Demonstrated Ability To:
- Produce finished art of an exceptional quality
- Provide effective solutions
- Work effectively with no guidance
- Manage large and diverse teams
- Take initiative
- Remain knowledgeable on current software
- Clearly and effectively communicate (written and oral)
- Define and maintain art production pipelines for efficiency and state of the art assets.
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply at http://www.sumo-digital.com
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org