Avalanche Studios (Just Cause, Mad Max) is an independent AAA developer dedicated to creating huge open world games. Avalanche Studios develops games based on the Avalanche Engine, proprietary technology enabling explosive, emergent gameplay. The studio was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg, and established a US presence in New York City in 2011. In addition to AAA games, Avalanche Studios has developed and released the critically acclaimed XBLA/PSN twin stick shooterRenegade Ops, manages the 2+ million player online world of theHunter, and is currently hard at work on its first mobile game.
Avalanche Studios is looking for an Animation Director to oversee the development of animation; focusing on the game-play side of both current and next gen AAA projects (both new and existing) being developed in our Stockholm based studio. This will involve working closely with the Game Director to realize the vision and communicating the direction to the animation team. The responsibility of the Animation Director is also to creatively lead and mentor the animation team, grow internal talent and review and approve all game-play and cinematic related character animations.
- To define, communicate and direct the movement style of all game-play related character motion
- To plan, manage, coordinate and review the work of the animation team to ensure the highest quality
- To work closely with the Game Director and Lead/Senior Designers to establish the animation requirements in all areas of the game
- To ensure that the integrity of the animations and character behaviors are realized as intended in the build via regular reviews, establishing issues and advising on implementation and technical solutions.
- To collaborate with other Directors, Producers and Leads to help drive the project direction
- Actively participate in animation system and tech design , pipeline improvements, and all animation related problem solving
- To plan, coordinate and direct all necessary game-play orientated motion capture shoots
- To be a positive driving force that consistently leads by example
- Act as a role-model for the animation team by emphasizing project and company goals, provide feedback on performance, mentoring and training the Animators to achieve the best of their ability.
- At least 8 years of games industry experience in animation and credited on at least 2 published AAA titles as an Animation Director, Supervisor or Lead.
- Must have Animation lead experience on at least one current gen (360/PS3) AAA title
- A strong key-framer who also has a high level of experience with motion editing
- Passionate about animation with a high level of understanding of weight distribution, posing and timing
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate, both creatively and technically
- Experience working with core main character and NPC locomotion systems and combat mechanics/systems are essential
- Experienced with the motion capture pipeline, ideally including; auditioning talent, preparing for and planning shoots with external partners, directing stuntmen and actors including fight choreography - through to making selects and delegating the workloads to the animation team
- Experience with facial animation, cinematography, cinematic related character animation, rigging, skinning, animation state trees and animation scripting would be beneficial
- Experience with multi-player related animation systems and open world games would be beneficial
- Must be proficient with animation software - ideally MotionBuilder
- Have a passion for making great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends – ideally an avid gamer!
A Portfolio is required demonstrating all aspects of your skills, add a link to your online portfolio in your CV. To apply for this position please send a detailed CV and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm.